Saturday, October 13, 2007

Day Four: Big Sur to San Simeon: 2 Oct 2007



Tuesday, October 2
They call today two-turn-Tuesday because you turn left out of the campground onto Highway 1, ride 64 miles then turn right into the campgrounds (or in our case, the hotel!) in San Simeon the locale of the world-renowned Hearst Castle.


We have found that the ker-cunk, ker-cunk, ker-cunk sounds that car tires make as the move over the lane divider is music to our cycling ears. That sounds means that the car coming up behind me is moving to the left as it is passing me.



Today's ride is one of the hardest (beside day 1), because it is about 65 miles of up and downs hills along the coast. Dave finished this challenging ride but I had to skip the two biggest hills because of some knee problems. I will rest, ice and elevate it tonight and hope I can ride tomorrow.

--From Dave--
I had to stop a couple of times in the hills, but I'm happy to report that I rode every mile.
Here's where all that brutal training in air-conditioned Spinning classes with mirrors & music & nearby water fountains really paid off!


Completing the Day 4 ride has given me a new level of confidence. Kellie trains on the toughest, hilliest roads in LA.

I'm going to start riding with-her when she goes to Angeles Crest & on La Tuna Canyon!
This picture is of the sea lions lying in the sun just outside of camp!

1 comment:

amidnightrider said...

I just found you on Sparks people. I'm capejohn there.
I'll be leaving myself for a tour on Friday.
Maybe we can compare saddle sores after our rides. 8>)

See you around.